Below is a partial list of the many prepaid debit cards on the market that allow you to reload more money onto them and use them indefinitely. (Prepaid credit cards are in contrast to debit gift cards that run out once you’ve used the balance on the card.)
- – Reloadable American Express card with low fees. You’ll pay a $1 monthly fee if you don’t add $500 or more to the card during the month, no fee if you do. ATMs are free, but you will pay $2.50 if you use ATMs outside the MoneyPass network. There are also 2 variations on the card that come with a monthly fee but have other perks the standard card does not have.
- – Get a NetSpend MasterCard or Visa and use the card wherever those types of cards are accepted, both online and in person. Fees include either a monthly fee of $9.95 that covers most transactions or a per-transaction formula that charges you $2 anytime you use the card to make a purchase. Also charges $2.50 on most ATM withdrawals regardless of plan. See site for other fees.
- – Well-known prepaid card due to its aggressive marketing, this card allows you to choose a monthly fee of $7.95 (or $5.95 if you use direct deposit) that includes the majority of transactions, or to choose a pay-as-you-go plan that charges you $1 every time you use the card. ATM transactions outside of the MoneyPass network will also have a fee.
- – This prepaid card is OK if you use it the right way. It charges you a $5 per month maintenance fee. There is a $3 reload fee unless you reload it via direct deposit or by cashing a check at Walmart. ATM withdrawals have a $2.50 fee. Also has a modest cash back program on your Walmart purchases. Not our first choice, but maybe more convenient if you’re a regular at Walmart.
- – Monthly $7.95 fee unless you load more than $1000 onto the card in a month. Reload and ATM fees may apply depending on how you use the card. See the “Simple Fee Plan” at the site to understand fees.
- – Offers either a monthly plan for $9.95 that includes all transactions or a $1-2 per transaction fee plan. ATM withdrawals cost $2.50 plus any fees from the bank that supplies the ATM.